North Salt Spring Waterworks District, Salt Spring Island, BC
DATE POSTED: March 29 - April 28, 2017
Water Treatment Plant Operator Level 1
The North Salt Spring Water District is presently seeking one additional staff member to join our team who holds a Level 1 Water Treatment Plant Operator and a Level 1 Water Distribution certification.
North Salt Spring Waterworks District currently has 1760 service connection and operates (6) small water systems under contract. The successful applicant would answer to the Works Supervisor as part of a team of 6 operators responsible for the daily operation of the system and facilities.
Located in the beautiful Southern Gulf Islands, Salt Spring Island, voted the Number One Art Town in Canada, is a vibrant, active rural community and a great place to live. Surrounded by the Salish Sea, our year-round climate is mild, featuring sunny Mediterranean-type summers, and somewhat damp, but warm winters. Schools are excellent, and for the outdoor enthusiast we have fishing, kayaking, sailing, hiking, soccer, tennis and year-round golf, with lots of winter sports a short drive away on Vancouver Island or over on the mainland.
The Operator duties are varied and include but are not limited to:
- Inspecting, maintaining, servicing and repairing water treatment equipment and facilities within the District and other contracted areas.
- Collection and transport of water samples from lakes, streams and throughout the drinking water supply system.
- Tests and analyses water quality for chlorine residual, turbidity and other parameters.
- Monitors, tests and adjusts secondary disinfection facilities.
- Participating in record keeping of plant and process performance, including process control/operational records and reports.
- Carrying out preventative maintenance program tasks for treatment plant facilities and equipment.
- Ensuring tasks are carried out in compliance with rules, regulations and standards governing water supply, treatment and distribution.
- Responding to emergency calls and may organize staff to meet emergencies if required.
- Monitoring the performance of contractors working in the vicinity of the District’s works and facilities.
- Assisting with maintaining the inventory of stock and equipment.
- Dispensing and transporting dangerous goods.
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Good communications (verbal and written), interpersonal, and customer service skills are required, as is the ability to work positively with the operations team and across the organization to achieve group and organizational goals.
- Thorough knowledge of practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the operation, maintenance and repair of water systems.
- Familiarity with SCADA operating systems.
- Knowledge of disinfection practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of rules, regulations, standards and legislation governing treatment of water quality.
- The ability to work in confined spaces. .
- The ability to effectively use computer-based applications and technology to complete tasks.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and are looking for someone with a positive, team-oriented attitude who is willing to learn and grow with us.
Applicants must have:
- One year post-secondary (or equivalent)
- Water Treatment Certificate Class 1 or Water Distribution Certificate Class 1 issued under the BCEOCP
- Valid Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certification
- WHMIS Certification
- A minimum 2 years’ related experience.
- A valid BC Driver’s License and a clean driving record
Consideration will be given to an applicant with one certification able to write the second certification exam within a year to meet qualification.
- Additional certificates in water treatment.
- Trades related experience such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing or pipefitting will be considered an asset.
Preference will be given to applicants with demonstrated experience in fire hydrant maintenance, repair and installation.
Please visit our website at www.nsswaterworks.ca to view the complete job description and the qualifications required.
Please send a cover letter and resume by 4:00 pm April 28, 2017 to:
Anne Williams, Office Manager
North Salt Spring Waterworks District
761 Upper Ganges Rd., Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 1S1